Sunday, June 01, 2008

I left my grandfather's house this afternoon, saying goodbye to him for possibly the last time. He is full of cancer and was just diagnosed with pneumonia this week. He looked pretty good and was able to get up and around, but the long-term prognosis is not good. He may have a few weeks in him, but I leave next week for over two weeks, so he'd have to hang on for almost a month for me to see him again.

I'm not good with good-byes, so I encouraged him to stay strong, that I'd see him in a few weeks, etc., but I'm just not sure.

What really struck me as I was taking Maiya on a ride through his land was the legacy he's leaving. I'm not too big on legacies and not too worried what mine will be (other than I hope it'll be that I followed Jesus with all my heart), but with his it is how well-respected he is. I was leaving the yard with Maiya on the four-wheeler and when we got on the road a farmer passed us. I had no idea who he was and he had no idea who I was, but I was leaving Tom Nate's yard so he waved to me, there was respect with that. He worked two jobs his whole life (millwright and farmer), kept up 120 acres of land, milked cows twice a day, kept the place clean and had time in the evenings to come to our sporting events. My Kenyan friend Japheth came to visit and I took him out to see Grandpa, his first reaction was, "this is a strong old man," Grandpa was 73 at the time, but Japheth just knew. Kendyl is always talking about "Tom" and loves the dog. For a man with just an 8th grade education, he's done better than I may ever dream of. I'm proud to be one of his descendents and pray he hangs on until I get home and maybe even until Kendyl's birthday party on July 6.

No comments: