Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Landed well into Amsterdam, only a few hours sleep, but I seem to be doing fine.

I tried to write last night at the airport a few final thoughts but didn't get a chance, here is a condensed version that I may expand on in the next few days:

1) I made it pretty clear how homesick I got again this time and that unless Lisa returns with me next year, I may take a year off. I really feel that my time "running tour groups" may be over, and that if I return it will be with more specific work (teaching, a new project, etc.). That still stands, however...

2) The burden within me for the girls and women in Mathare who are sexually exploited and abused continues to be there. For the past couple of years this theme has been on my heart and I never knew where it would go, but I prayed that one day God would show me. This may be it. I can see raising funds, putting a center together, hiring some counselors, and supporting those who have been abused. That is very vague and much research is needed, but I can see the foundation beginning to sprout.

3) With that, I cannot explain the joy in spending time with dear brothers and sister in Kenya, and the latter part of this trip was no exception. I tried my hardest to change my ticket to fly home earlier, but in the end am glad I didn't as I would have missed out on so much the past few days. It begin on Monday with meeting a gentleman named Curtis Reed, an African-American brother in the Lord from Chicago who had a great incarnational ministry in a part of Nairobi called Eastlands. What a blessing to meet and spend time with this gentleman, he is truly doing Kingdom work!

In addition, Dan and I had the opportunity to spend three hours with Dotun Modupe yesterday at a coffee shop and my spine tingles and the little hair on my head stands up at the stories he tells and the work he is doing. This was my third trip working with Dotun, and each time I get more of a heart for what he is doing, what the Lord has done in his life, and the future of his ministry.

4) So as I return home, it is definitely with an anxious heart to see my family, but it is also one of anticipation and longing for prayer as to what the future may hold. Will Lisa return with me next year? Will I be doing more specific work with Tumaini? Will I begin the counseling center? Only the Lord knows, and I am trusting He will lead me and give me the heart for what happens next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, just read all the updates, JP. Sounds like an impactful trip and I too anticipate what God has for you and Lisa in the future with all this. Keep me updated.