Monday, March 28, 2005

I had one of those “oh my goodness my daughter is growing up” moments tonight. It was Maiya’s second time at swim lessons. The first time she was kind of reserved and wanted Lisa out there with her while I watched from behind the window. Tonight, when it was her time and her color was called, she flew out the door with her towel in hand and went right into the water. Next thing I know she’ll be out the door moving off to college.

I was also very impressed with her teacher at the lessons. At the end of the class, the kids get a sucker if they were good. This teacher didn’t give one to a boy because he was crying the whole time and wasn’t listening to her or his mother. She’ll probably get sued, but I like how she stood by her principles.

I began reading this book called “Speak” that the whole city of Appleton is supposed to read. I don’t know whose idea this is, but I had read about it in the papers and saw the display at Barnes and Noble so I picked it up. Fascinating book! I’m 50 pages into it and it’s a fiction story in the first person about this girl who in the summer before her freshman year in high school calls the cops on a party and now has no friends. I’m going to begin reading it next Monday with two of my classes. Great stuff about how difficult it is to be a teen, especially with no friends.

Rick Warren has been all over the airwaves lately since that hostage in Atlanta read his book to the killer before he let her go. Both my brother and I saw him on Larry King Live late last week. I found it interesting how he kept talking about the program. “We are going to take this program to 67 countries…we’ll form small groups in these countries to go through the program…those in other countries will be blessed by the program just like thousands in America have been blessed by the program…” Sorry Rick, but the Kingdom of God is not a program, it’s a relationship with our Creator and Savior. Leave the program for the world, the Kingdom’s focus needs to be on relationship.

My brother also commented on his interview that not once did he mention Jesus. Kind of interesting, you’d think that if he keeps mentioning peace and joy and purpose and mission, that he would mention who gives the peace and joy and mission, unless that’s not his aim. Who knows, I read both of his books and have been to Saddleback and am not impressed. Count me as anti Purpose Driven.

No comments: