Thursday, March 31, 2005

I received this email last week from a friend and wanted to share it:

I was reading your blog about possessions and buying things...so true. I constantly am saying that I just want such and such but as soon as I get it I just want more things. None of it is important; it is just stuff...that moth and rust can destroy and thieves can steal. I have been thinking a bunch about the culture we live in and how it allows us to not depend on God. I feel so safe because I have an alarm system in my apartment, I live in a nice neighborhood. I don't feel like I have to worry about what I will eat because I have money saved up and I know ways to get what I need. We have a culture filled with security which I think eats away at my faith. I don't feel like I have to have God for everything because almost everyone in our country has their needs met. Not to mention that I have most of my emotional needs met because I have good friends and a loving family. I almost see myself saying, with my actions, why do I need God? Now, obviously, I don't really mean that. I know I need God; I certainly can't save myself and if God wanted to take away everything I own he could do it in a matter of seconds. But our standard for Christian living is so low. We just want to get a decent paying job, live in the suburbs, have food on the table and kids on the honor roll. Then of course so many Christians go to their couples Bible studies, read the newest fad Christian book and play Church. Our low standard for ourselves allows us to live with such little faith. I want to be put in places where I need God and see Him work. I often feel like we pray for things that are so pointless. On campus, we often pray for parking spots. God cares about the little things in our lives but is the most important thing in the kingdom really a parking spot? When I only take time to speak to God when I need something like a parking spot so I can go to class on time...that's pretty sad. Then if we get parking spots its not like some huge work of God because even people that don't pray get parking spots. In John Piper's book, "Let the Nations Be Glad," he says, "God has given us the power of prayer because Jesus has given us a mission. We are on this earth to press back the forces of darkness, and we are given access to headquarters by prayer to advance this cause. When we try to turn it into a civilian intercom to increase our conveniences, it stops working, and our faith begins to falter. We have so domesticated prayer that for many of us it is no longer what it was designed to be -- a wartime walkie-talkie for the accomplishment of Christ's mission." So true, John, so true. So basically I wish I were put in a place where I would have to trust God. For my livelihood, my life, my happiness and for His Kingdom to advance all around me. I should watch what I ask for. I am going to end up being a missionary in Iraq with challenges like that. Anyway, those are the thoughts that are rolling through my head today.

No comments: