Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I'm reading John Stossel's book "Give Me a Break" about how the public is deceived by regulators, lawyers, and politicians "in the name of safety." Great book. Two things stick out to me in my reading today.

First, he writes, "in any war, the first casualty is truth." That's probably true, and it made me think that as Christians, there is no doubt that we are in a war. The war is good v. evil. And of course, what is the first casualty that aids the enemy in this war...truth! If we are believers can stay true to the truth, we will win the war (of course, we know we will win the war in any case, since it's not realy a war since Jesus is the Victor, but I think you know what I mean).

Second, one of the main themes of this book is to debunk much of what we hear from the media that serve as scare tactics. One he wrote about today is the thing I had heard and passed on that "more domestic violence occurs on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year." He says it's just not true and traced it back to a feminist group who wanted more exposure for victims of domestic violence. Good cause, bad lie.

In the future I plan to blog on all of the myths that are out there, some are shocking!

No comments: