Wednesday, April 12, 2006

As you've probably guessed I'm back from Guatemala and though it was a great time, I haven't eaten since Sunday morning (other than toast, bagel, etc. and it runs right through me) and have had a steady dose of the runs. Not good! I called the Dr. yesterday and they put me on some meds and some other stuff. It hasn't helped much though, they also wanted a stool sample which was quite interesting, though I didn't get the results back yet.

Thought this quote was pretty cool and true, not that I'm in the business of negotiating all that much but it'll be helpful to keep in mind:
Get people to cooperate: Always keep in mind that other people don't care what you want -- they want to know what's in it for them. By approaching negotiations with an attitude that allows both parties to win, you'll be more effective at eliciting cooperation and ultimately getting what you want.

My two cents on the Brett Favre saga around here: I don't blame him if he doesn't want to come back, the Packers have done nothing to make their team any better over the last few years and basically wasted his career. The only way I would consider it if I were him is if they broke the bank, signed Arrington and Woodson and another notable FA and made one last run at the title. Other than that, ride into the sunset.

I know this was over a week ago, and I know this isn't a light situation, but I had to think when John Wooden was admitted to the hospital with a situation that "wasn't life threatening," when you are 95-years old, isn't any situation life threatening. Glad to hear he made a recovery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are only 3 ways to get something from someone: 1)threaten them physically, 2)beg (appeal to emotions), or 3)appeal to self interest through giving a value for a value (this requires logic).

What's amazing is that people think Jesus is a begger. (No one would say Jesus operated by threatening people.) They think he wanted us to do things without giving us a reason or a value in return.

Jesus told the rich man, "Sell all that you have, give it to the poor, then..." Then what?

If you think Jesus said, "Follow me" that would make Jesus a begger who tells us to do things based on emotion. Jesus said, "then you will have treasure in heaven: then follow me."

Jesus always appealed to our self interest and gave a greater value to us when he requested a value. This takes reasoning/logic. Jesus did not appeal to our emotions.