Thursday, April 06, 2006

Got in safe late last night, thought I was going to be met by my friend as well as some of the government officials, I thought wrong. I wandered aroud for a little while before I found them. Let me tell you, Im fairly comfortable travelling to different cultures, but when you get out of the airport and have no idea where you are going or who to talk to, its a scary feeling. And this is from me who, if need be, could have gone up to any of the major hotels (Holiday Inn, Mariott, etc) with a presence there and booked the night. Makes me have more compassion on those who arrive to a foreign country without those privileges. Im learning more and more and benefits given to those with white skin. In Kenya, I can walk into the Nairobi Hilton, through the security, without a problem, no questions asked. You could have an American of African or Latin or any other descent do the same and the questions would be raised, gates closed, etc. Crazy world.

Took a taxi to the Embassy this afternoon for a meeting with a gentleman over security for the embassy and a lady who works with cultural relations. We're trying to get the work we are doing funded or granted by the government. Anyway, I'm learning more and more about diplomacy, the thing is all you have to do is listen and pass it on to the next person. I got passed from one to the other and then given a phone number of someone in the country to speak to. Beaurocracy...

I wish I had a video of the cab ride over, the driver and I were trying to communicate, and I know about as much Spanish as he knew English, which is next to none. I can greet and say goodbye, that's about all, I used to know more, when I took the mission trips to Mexico I thought I did fine, but have lost it. I keep speaking Swahili to these people and they look at my like I'm crazy, which is true. The good thing is that I got to the Embassy and returned without conflict.

By the way, I thought that my hotel would be one of the best I've ever stayed in, it is by far!

No comments: