Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A few more thoughts I neglected on my previous post:

- My stomach is having a difficult time readjusting to American food. I didn't think this would be such a problem, but going from our food to their food and back to ours has just done major damage.

- I hope "Meet the Parents" got major royalties from "Guess Who." I don't think I've seen a bigger rip off of a movie in my life.

- I've used this space to rant about Christian jargon before, and I must add another one to the list. The phrase "first time commitment to Christ" is a very Western phrase, one I have not heard in Kenya nor in any of my readings on foreign cultures. It's kind of a buzz phrase, a way of measuring one's ministry, and one that makes my blood boil. According to these people, we are having millions of first-time commitments to Christ per year, yet the world is falling further and further away from Christianity. So either these people are making up their stats or this is not a good way to measure one's ministry.

- One of the major highlights of the trip I keep failing to mention is how interesting it was reading the newspaper every day. One article in particular caught my eye as it backed up what I have been saying for a long time. It seems the Kenyans are starting to pick up on the fact that the hundreds of millions of dollars a year being allocated to their country in aide isn't getting to them, it's lining the pockets of big corporations around the world. They are calling for accountability in this process as they should. Another reason for us to forego relying on governments to help the world and get involved ourselves.

No comments: