Thursday, August 25, 2005

Today has symbolized somewhat of an end of things for me:

First, Maiya and I went to the pool for the last time, meaning summer is over. This was my best summer ever, I worked a little, took a class that I enjoyed, relaxed, and had a lot of time with the family, not to mention adding another member to our family. I think two children is enough for me, but if we ever have another child I would want to have it in summer, the time has been invaluable.

I also officially retired this evening from competitive athletics. I always said when I get old and can't compete anymore, I'm done, and it's time. I can't play for fun, and since I'm not good anymore, I have to hang up the cleats and sneakers. I'm sure I'll go back on this occasionally, but I'm pretty set on this. Only running, biking, and roller blading for me, and only to stay in some sort of shape.

Finally, I'm through arguing points of theology. I had a good talk with my neighbor tonight on baptism. He and his family are believers, and he brought up the topic, as they were all baptized as infants. Lately, he said that he has felt it laid on his heart that maybe infant baptism isn't the way to go and maybe they should go with an adult immersion. At that point, I could have began a debate on infant/adult, sprinkling/immersion, but I don't know what that would do. On the other hand, what I did was begin to look at the purpose of baptism with him, what it is for, why the Lord desires/commands it, etc. Our conversation got cut short, but I believe more fruit will come out of this rather than arguing the other details. It also seems to be the method of Jesus, when the Pharisees would try to get him to debate with them, he would go to the heart of the matter with them(see Matthew 15). Let's get to the heart of the matter rather than argue the non-essentials.

One last note, I've had a few hits on my blog lately and it's pretty exciting, thanks for all that show support and interest in my little world and coming alongside of me on my journey.

No comments: