Sunday, August 28, 2005

I came across the following news piece on Friday and was going to make it the focal point of my next post:

Matt Leinart, the probably number one draft pick in LAST year’s NFL draft, returned to school and is taking one class this fall semester, Ballroom Dancing. Being a single man in Southern California at one of the greatest college campuses in the nation with only one class and a sure-fire future multi-millionaire, this man has my vote for having THE LIFE!

But after spending this past weekend with my family at the wedding of Lisa's cousin, I have to change my mind. For those of you who don't know me, I HATE WEDDINGS! I am the most unromantic person you know, so spending a day oodling over the wedding couple makes me nauceous. Furthermore, I am a very cynical person, so I'm always thinking about what could go wrong with this relationship (I know, I'm a tortured soul).

This weekend wasd different, however. First, I really like the couple. Stacie is Lisa's coolest cousin and I have always liked her husband. I also like the family surrouding the both of them and the setting was a pristine lake.

More than that, though, my daughter Maiya was a flowergirl for the wedding, and watching her walk down the aisle (with a hint of seriousness and just enough of a smile to melt all hearts in the audience) nearly brought a tear to my eye. I was so proud of her. Then, during the father-daughter dance she wanted to sit on my lap while "Butterfly Kisses" played. That song should really be outlawed as I don't know how the bride's father kept from losing it, there didn't seem to be a dry eye in the place, especially not among the men with daughters. And to add insult to injury, she fulfilled my dreams by dancing an entire song with me, laying her head on my shoulder for the whole song. Times like that are just priceless!

So I take back my comment above that Matt Leinart has my vote for THE LIFE. I'm sure it would be great to take part in the college life again, beautiful girls chasing you around, millions of fans watching you throw a pigskin around every Saturday, millions of dollars waiting for you in the bank, what could be better. That life is sure envious, but I wouldn't trade my life yesterday for the world.

No comments: