Sunday, August 14, 2005

One thing that stikes me often with "Bible Thumpers" is that I question whether they really believe what the Bible says. It's almost like it amazes them when what the Bible says really happens or that it makes sense.

Two interesting bits in the local paper yesterday:

1) First, there was a poll out that consumers are seeing their "wallets run dry because of sky-rocketing gas price." This always amuses me. So far it's only been a few dollars every time I fill up. If things continue as it seems they will, we may be looking at $10-15 additional cost every time I go to the pump. Of course I'd rather do other things with this money, but it's not going to break me, and it really shouldn't break the majority of Americans, with the amount of disposable cash most of us have (or should have) access to. What I see here is the fruits of Americans crediting ourselves so tight with our mansion houses, big-screen TV's, vacation homes, etc., that this could have a serious affect on our budgets, though it should do nothing more than be a speed bump in our accounts. In my estimation, our economy is holding a delicate balance due to our national and individual debt. A good friend and mentor told me a short time ago, "if you do anything in the next five years, get out of debt." I can't say I've taken his message to action, but I do agree wholeheartedly with him, our economy is on the brink of disaster!

2) Related to that was the news out of NY that Pan Am is cancelling some local flights in the area due to low travel and high gas prices. Thank You! Airline companies are in a heap of trouble financially, and I think one thing they need to do is cancel some of these flights that aren't near full. I travel occasionally from Appleton/Green Bay to Chicago or Minneapolis, and rarely is the flight half full. On my return flight Monday, there were about six people on the plane. While I like the convenient connections, these airlines needs to start cutting a few of these flights and let us decide whether we'll drive to the bigger airports or put up with the long layovers. It won't be popular, but it's about the bottom line.

No comments: