Thursday, August 11, 2005

On a whim, I am strongly considering never again referring to the death of the Western Church. What good does it do? I was convicted tonight while reading "Urban Ministry" and noting the author's word choice about the city. In particular, he engaged in a lengthy discussion on how some look at the city as chaotic in a negative way while some see that as positive. I fall in the latter group, I love the city, even in the midst of the depravity that is found there, as I found out more these past two weeks, Dan and I felt most and home in Nairobi vs. the remote villages. Thus, I am now close to choosing for good to take the positive changes our culture is experiencing and focusing on how the church can use to them further God's Kingdom rather than ranting against something that I can't stop or change. A few more days of thought to be sure I am on the right track here and then I'll cross the threshold forever.

I also find it interesting in a recent email that Barna has had enough, it seems that he has realized that what he has been saying to the church for the past twenty years has falled on deaf ears, no one has listened to what he had to say, so now he is changing the strategy. I am told that his new book and all subsequent ones will focus on "ministry that is percolating to the surface of American society through new forms of ministry such as the cyberchurch, house churches, marketplace ministries, and tribal faith experiences." I'm excited and have added his next book, "Revolution," to my amazon wish list to be purchases when it becomes available.

No comments: