Thursday, June 16, 2005

The following was posted on Jordon Cooper's blog yesterday. I've read a book by Jeffrey Tayler called "Facing the Congo," great book about a very destitute and hurting nation. Seems like things aren't getting much better...

It's a maxim that what people aren't talking about is always a favorite topic of conversation. But it will make your head spin when applied to the media and the most deadly conflict in the world today. Western media generally do not cover the ongoing war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, but a media story is currently developing around the Congo - focusing, paradoxically, on how the conflict is not a media story.
I've lost count of how many journalists in the recent weeks have asked me, "Why aren't the media covering the Congo?"
With an estimated 1,000 people dying there every day as a result of hunger and disease caused by war, it is an appropriate question. But the extent of this coverage of noncoverage is reaching the absurd: print, radio, TV, Internet - they all want to know why they themselves are not writing articles and broadcasting programs about the Congo.
And it is not just me noticing this. In March, Reuters even held a seminar on "forgotten crises," at which the Congo topped the list, and on BBC World Service the other day, I heard a newscaster ask: "Shouldn't this be getting more attention?"
Indeed. What the world media are missing is one of the deadliest conflicts since World War II: 3.8 million people have died in the Congo since 1998, dwarfing not only the biggest of natural catastrophes, such as December's South Asia tsunami, but also other manmade horrors, such as Darfur.


I was up late last night and flipping through the channels when I came to "Nightline," which I don't know that I have ever watched. Anyway, the topic was a new film, "Stolen Childhood," done by two men who travelled the world for two years researching child slavery. As you probably know, that topic may be the one that hits my heart the hardest. I ended up going to their web site and buying the DVD, let me know if you want to see it once I get it, it looked like a great film. One thing struck me, a guy they interviewed figured that if we wanted to educate every child in the world who is not currently in primary school, it would cost $8 billion dollars per year. He then said that we (I would imagine "we" is the Western world, but it could be just America alone) spends $40 billion annually on golf. ?

1 comment:

E said...

I wonder about the $8B figure, but if it's true it would seem trivial for our government to write that kind of check. We could easily cut $8B just from the highway bill