Friday, June 10, 2005

I just read a blog off of the evangelical outpost, a fairly interesting one I must say. It was a commencement address that never happened because the author has never been asked to give one, so he submitted it to the outpost and is allowing anyone to use it without even crediting him. Pretty neat. It was about the Athenians from Greece and the Visigoths from Germany and the difference between the two, basically, Athenians=quest for knowledge, righteousness=good, and Visigoths=destruction and war=bad.

Here is my point, and here again lies another pet peeve of mine. I am going to assume, whether right or wrong, that most hits on this web site come from evangelical Christians. I read the comments to this post and they just ripped the author, nitpicking every little detail, his overall thesis, everything you can imagine. I find my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are just too picky sometimes and can't find the spirit of the situation, always focusing on the law of it. Was this speech 100% accurate and true? Maybe, maybe not, but I think the point was more to tell a story and inspire others in their lives, it didn't have to be totally accurate. Things like this give us a bad reputation as believers, moves us further from the world. There is a time to be nitpicky, on some of the non-negotiables of the Word, etc, but this wasn't one. One more reason why I am falling further and further away from contemporary Christian thought.

No comments: