Sunday, June 12, 2005

Runner’s World this month has an article about a group of Western runners who went to Kenya to fellowship with the Kenyan runners who seem to continue to dominate distance running around the world. They talked about entering the homes of the people, how well-received they were, the environment and culture, the animals, etc. I don’t mean to sound arrogant by this, but none of it moved me at all. Had I read this same article last year, I would have been wowed. But after being there, my reaction it, “Yeah, that’s how it is, amazing isn’t it.” I don’t need any reporter bragging to me, kind of gets under my skin.

In that same magazine was a short article about a group of wives whose husbands left for Iraq in the winter of 2004. One of the wives commented, “It’s difficult to explain what it’s like to watch your husband tuck your children into bed one last time and to have one last kiss before he walks out the door and into a combat zone…” As a father and husband, I can’t imagine doing this, and as much as I support the war in Iraq and believe the cause was just, I couldn’t see myself going over there to fight. There are causes I might take up, fighting for those being slaughtered and starved in Darfur, the same for North Korea, but not much else. It convicts me that I am this much of a wimp, but I just don’t see myself leaving my family like that for many things.

While we are discussing magazines, I was at Copps this morning and before checking out, I noticed that Star magazine was reporting that Ben Affleck may be getting cold feet and having second thoughts about his marriage to Jennifer Garner. Being a HUGE Garner fan, I would give this advice to Ben, “Have second thoughts, think this through, in fact, please call this whole thing off. The world doesn’t need you messing up with beautiful and talented actress as a publicity stunt for your sagging career. By the way, how would you sum up your career? Riding the coat-tail of Matt Damon in “Good Will Hunting”? What other movies were you in? I can’t seem to remember any at this time.” As you can see, I’m not a big Affleck fan.

I was preaching to Lisa yesterday morning about giving in the Kingdom of God, and what I feel about this subject. In my sermon, I was reminded of the movie “Heat” and not having watched it for some time, I had to go out and rent it last night. One of my favorite lines from that movie is what De Niro repeats throughout the movie, “Don’t let yourself get attached to anything in your life that you cannot walk out on in 30 seconds if you feel the heat coming around the corner.” Now, of course I don’t subscribe to that theory when it comes to relationships or many other things in life, but in my discussion with Lisa, I think it fits perfectly in seeking the balance between saving and giving in the Kingdom of God.

Here’s how I feel, and I can’t take credit for this as it has been taught to me by my good friend John, and I think he hit it right on the head. See, I’m always worried about this, how much can I save, should I save at all? The Bible seems to say to save up for your children and your children’s children, and I believe the Bible calls us to take care of our family, but how much is necessary? Certainly not what a financial advisor would encourage. The Bible also seems to show those who gave all, selling all they had and laying it at the feet of the apostles. I’m confused. So I asked John about mutual funds, real estate, stocks, money market accounts, etc. and what he thought of those and in reality, honestly, if it was all right o have them as a person living in the Kingdom of God. His answer was that of course they were all right, have fun with them, be smart with them, seek to expand your wealth, take care of your family, etc. But here is the kicker, he said that we can never hold on to them too tightly, we need to be ready to get rid of them in 30 seconds if we feel God calling us to a cause. They are not ours, they are the Lord’s, and if we find our security in them, that is where we go wrong.

So, to put the words of De Niro into this context, “Don’t let yourself get attached to any monetary value in your life that you cannot give to the Lord in 30 seconds if you feel God calling you to a cause.” I like that.

No comments: