Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Mouse: 2 Me: 0

I wish I would have listened more in my child development class in college. I'm becoming very intrigued by the congnitive development of children, as modeled by Maiya. It amazes me the level of thinking and processing these young minds do. I always thought children were like "whatever feels right at the moment" but Maiya is pretty consistent in her thinking and acting. Pretty crazy stuff to me, I just sit back and marvel sometimes.

I'm starting a new grad class on Urban Ministry, the first book I am reading is called "A Theology as Big as the City." I agree with most of what the author is saying, although he encourages getting involved a little too much in politics. I can see the relevance of that at times when ministering in the inner city, yet I also know that the power that comes with it corrupts and ruins the witness.

One of the thoughts I had while reading this morning was that the rural church and the church in the suburbs needs to be of greater support to the inner city church. We need to realize that we are all together in this battle. Ray Bakke, the author, talks about the urban flight, and when that happens we forget about our brothers and sisters that stay behind or were unable to leave. I believe rather than bigger buildings and more accumulations of wealth, our resources should go more to the inner cities to help them in their true fight against drugs, poverty, education, etc., and then we don't have to rely on the government so much.

Another conclusion I'm coming to is that as opposed as I am to buildings in the suburbs and in most of America, there is a place for them, particularly in places like much of Asia and Africa where they stand for the Gospel being lived and preached and a place of worship. We have lost that in much of America, the building serves more of a "look what we have done and who we are" rather than a place of worship. The same for the inner city, the church building there serves as a safe haven and a house of worship and is needed. Again, I would like to see the resources of the rural and suburban church going to more of these causes rather than building up their own portfolio's.

No comments: