Monday, June 06, 2005

Three times since Saturday morning I have driven a mini-van. Lisa keeps giving me crap that I like them so much we are going to get one. I couldn’t think of anything that could take away my manhood more than owning one of those. I have nothing against people who drive them, they are very handy, they’re just not for me.

I hosted a group of Guatemalans this weekend, what a joy. One was a gentleman who ministers through AIA in Guatemala, and there were also four young ladies who were either in college or just out, all wanting to teach and reach their country for Christ. It was amazing to hear them speak the same language that I have become accustomed to, focusing not on the external, but more on the internal, more on the heart, not caring if someone has a beer or dances or where they work or worship, where is their heart? We all had coffee Saturday night and I just say back and was blessed by listening to them. I will visit that country very soon! It was a true blessing that it’s not just me and those I fellowship with that are thinking and acting on this, it is happening around the world.

My professor puts out a weekly e-periodical, this past week’s struck me, it was on the Holy Spirit and how one can tell where He is working:
If you want to see the Spirit of God at work in the world, then watch for people who claim Jesus as Lord, and who live out that faith-commitment day by day. If you want to experience God's powerful presence for yourself, then confess "Jesus is Lord" and mean it.

I hadn’t ever really thought about it in that way, but it sure makes sense. If you want to see where the Spirit is working and leading, find out where the fruit is. I like that.

I’m reading this book called “Lost in America,” another book that tells how bad America really is and how we are fastly becoming a wasteland where there are few hints of Christianity present. It’s a pretty good book. The author makes an interesting comment, “In America, there are 120 to 140 million functionally secular people, many of who are nominal members of our churches.”

It doesn’t surprise me, two years ago I read a book called “Pagans in the Pews” that said basically the same thing, although went further in noting how the theology of these people is very damaging to the church they attend and the Church as a whole.

To end, I’m coming more and more to the realization that what we see of Christianity in America is so far removed from the New Testament and what the Lord desires of us, that I have no idea where to go. I’m very confused!

No comments: