Friday, June 10, 2005

Sometime in the past two or three weeks I read an article in either Time or Newsweek (I know, I'm losing my mind, it's been a long week) about Paul Wolfowitz being head of the World Bank and the changes he and the organization wants to make. One that I found interesting allowed Western donors (or really any donor) to donate to a country of their choice, and the donation would be split evenly among every person in that country who registers for some card or whatever. Kind of confusing, but very interesting. Part of me likes it, letting your donation go to where it is needed most, but I don't like the distance it causes. I feel the best way to help someone is to be there directly for them, it's why I hope to continue to travel to and support Kenya, not just putting some money in a bank. We need to see the need. In addition, when is enough enough? When will we move from simply handing over money to those in third world countries to teaching them skills that will allow them to succeed on their own, which is the long-term goal of the organizations I work for and support. Finally, this does smell of corruption.

I have talked about this book I am reading, "Lost in America," I strongly suggest it to anyone who has an interest in evangelism. A few comments:

1) The authors compare Christianity to the Matrix, specifically when Morpheus offers Neo the red or blue pill. "This is your last chance...After this, there is no going back. You take the blue pill and the store ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pilll and you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes...Remember that all I am offering is the truth. Nothing more."
They go on to say that each person today is faced with a similar choice. If one takes the blue pill, they may navigate through life finding pleasures, but will always wonder if there is something more. The red pill, on the other hand, "offers the truth, but promises nothing more. If you do follow Christ, riches may come, but so may poverty. Social acceptance may come, but so may rejection. The red pill simply helps you see things as they really are." How true, I like the balance!

2) The authors ask the question of what is "Good News" to our neighbors. In the East African countries they ministered in previously, the good news was food, which saved their body from physical death. It was clothing, giving them dignity, and it was trust in Christ, which saved their souls for eternity. What is it for our neighbors? That's for us to decide, but ultimately is still is that we have been separated from Christ due to our sins and we need to re-enter relationship with Him, and we do that through the blood of Christ.

3) They also stress a lot that it's not Jesus that turns people off, it's the churches and the people in them. Unfortunately, I agree. We lack validity in the world, and as much as the people in the Church shouldn't keep people from Christ, they do, so we have to watch how we live our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you back in the blogging habit! I completely agree with your assertion that simply pouring money into a country isn't the answer. In the long run, the governments in power need to undergo change if any real progress is going to occur. And while Wolfowitz and other come under fire and get labeled as Neocons, his vision is the only one I see succeeding in helping the oppressed people in third world nations.

LJ