Monday, December 05, 2005

Slate had an interesting article on abortion today. One paragraph that caught my eye:

Abortion is the most important issue in American politics. It shouldn't be. Others have as big an impact on the lives of individuals and a far bigger cumulative effect on society. No other nation obsesses about abortion the way we do. But many Americans believe that legalized abortion
is government-sanctioned murder or something close to it. And many others (including me) believe that forcing a woman to go through an unwanted pregnancy and childbirth is the most extreme unjustified government intrusion on personal freedom short of sanctioning murder. For many in these groups, abortion is almost by definition an issue that overwhelms all others, or comes close, when they are deciding how (and whether) to vote. It is also, on both sides, a reliable issue for opening wallets.


What I don't understand is this, how can "forcing a woman to go through an unwanted pregnancy" be the most "unjustified government intrusion on personal freedom"? This almost makes me sick! Except in the case of incest or rape, no one is forcing anyone to go through this, the choice was made at the time of the act. Of course, my moral and religious beliefs affect my view of this, I believe that life begins at conception,and even modern scientific evidence could hardly rebuke that a child is alive (although I'm sure there is debate on what it means to be
"alive") and has feeling while in the mother's womb. Abortion is murder in my mind.

One more interesting note, last summer I was paging through some second and third century Church articles in my Church History class and found some interesting statements against abortion. I didn't realize it was such a problem at that time. I know socially it can be more than a black and white issue with health of the mother, incest, rape, etc., but morally there can be no question that it is wrong and something the Lord abhors.

2 comments:

edluv said...

yeah, that statement's sorta stupid. not allowing abortion is such an intrusion on person? come on. how about slavery, forced labor or rape? those seem like much more grevious intrusions on personal freedom. ok, the gov't doesn't condone those either, but they sure happen frequently. i agree with his/her start on how there are many other political issues that are important but they get sidelined by that one issue. i mean, i think it's an important issue. but, i also think that it's an issue that few actually hold to their own side if they follow it out (prolife being an issue not just of abortion but also cap.punish, war, economics, health care or that it's alright to end the life of a fetus through abortion, but not the life of a mass murder through cap.punishment - these sort of inconsitancies).

JPN said...

I've been learning a lot from you lately about being pro-life and that means more than abortion. I've always been for the death penalty, but am re-thinking. What's the option, there are some we can't rehabilitate, I don't think locking them up and throwing away the key is any good...There are some people I highly respect who feel there is a biblical basis for this, you'd probably disagree, but I see their point.