Saturday, May 27, 2006

In the past I have often made light of my friend Dan and his carefree, laissez faire attitude. He's studying Hebrew and Semitic Languages at UW-Madison (what kind of job can you get with that degree?), accumulating massive debt (how are you ever going to pay that off?), and yet he continues to head to Kenya every summer (how can you afford this?), the past two with me, this year on his own (we'll join him in July. But the email he sent this week humbles me and puts me in awe of our Lord and brings me to a greater understanding of obedience to His calling! It seems that he has been prepared for such a time as this...

My Family and Friends...

But on to the exciting stuff....The mystery of God’s workings are amazing to me, and while I don’t want to become too mystical, I realize now that God’s had has been upon this trip far longer than I ever realized. My purpose here, while unsure for a bit, has solidified significantly this week. Currently I work much with the youth here (18-30) They are amazing to say the least. The questions they ask are so astute, and their earnest pursuit of God is staggering.

Yet this group has not been without trouble for the last 6 months. A cult moved into the area where my church is located (Ngong Road) and it has been taking many youth away from the bible study. In fact at one point the bible study even ceased meeting together because of the havoc this cult presented.

Actually my first time attending the group was last week, which was only the 2nd time they had met in 6th months!! I was not sure the exact intentions of God when He brought me here, but I am now sure that one of His purposes is defending this youth group. Of all the types of cults that exist in the world the one that is troubling this church is a "Hebrew Cult" focusing on the lost knowledge of the Old Testament that can only be found by understanding the "true" Hebrew of the Bible….Coincidence? The discord which this cult provoked was only heightened by the fact that this church could not defend itself against the arguments the cult proposed; because no
one here can read or interpret Hebrew. Needless to say the Youth Group and I were both astonished to the point of silence when we found out that we suited each others needs so well. Being a Hebrew Student I am able to confront many of the topics this cult posses, while also teaching the youth how to defend themselves against such arguments.


It is amazing thinking back to this winter as I discussed with people, "Am I being "called" to Kenya". And at the end of the day I could confidently say that Yes I was being called…But what I was being called to was a mystery to me. It was very much a leap of faith to come to Kenya, only to find that (without my knowledge) Our Father had placed me with precision in the exact
spot I was needed. Some may call that coincidence, but I can’t help but to call that the Hand of God.

1 comment:

edluv said...

that's great stuff.