Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Every now and then I get to read the Wall St. Journal at school, and I always enjoy it, it's one of my favorite papers, though I don't get to read it often. I wish I could subscribe but it's just too costly for me, and I hate reading papers online, I only go there if I'm searching for a particular article/piece of news.

Having said that, this article caught my eye today. I find it interesting that the Chinese are taking right after us in their consumerism. I sat next to a retired teacher on the way to Guatemala last month who teaches English in foreign countries for a month or so at a time. He'd been to China at least three times by my recollection and came away with one memory: Chinese students desire one thing, to work for one of the large corporations, get that credit card, and SPEND MONEY. He couldn't stress that enough. Crazy! Now the China I think of, but the one that seems to exist in reality.

No comments: