Thursday, January 27, 2005

Over the weekend I read this book called "Facing the Congo" by Jeffrey Tayler. Quite an interesting read. It's basically about Tayler's existential journey into the Congo, seeking to ride a pirogue (a long and narrow canoe) with no motor down the Congo River from Kisangani to Kinshasha. There seemed to have been only around 4 people who tried it previously and none made it, two falling victim to cannibal tribes along the way and two miraculously being rescued on some deserted island after their pirogue capsized. I won't tell you if he made it or not just in case you want to read the book.

Anyway, he used the word "existential" quite often during the book and although I had been familiar with the word and used it in my daily language, I admit I had to look it up for the exact meaning. Dictionary.com defines it as "derived from experience or the experience of existence" or basically gaining meaning from life based on experience. That got me thinking...

Isn't our entire culture existential? Hasn't this movement overtaken the Church? Isn't everything we do basically revolve around the experience? Maybe not in the modern setting but I believe this totally prevails in the postmodern movement. Now my question, is this bad? It has affected our culture, but does that make it wrong? I'm split on this one, part of me says that we shouldn't have to base everything on experience, that faith in Christ and the teaching of His Word should be enough. But the other part of me says that my life is basically an existential journey, much like Tayler's, and that I grow closer to the Lord through experiencing Him and His people around the world. I think many people are similar to me.

As always, and I've said this before in this space, it comes down to balance. We must rely on Christ and His sacrifice and the promises of God while at the same time growing closer to Him through His Word and the experiences of our lives.

Barikwa sana!

No comments: