Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Book Review: What's So Amazing About Grace

It's Tuesday and that means it's time for another book review.

I've chosen Philip Yancey's "What So Amazing About Grace" for this weeks review/suggestion. If you've followed this blog you know that I reread this book in the end of the July since I needed to get balanced again on this subject. Yancey quotes David Seamands who makes the epic statement, "We read, we hear, we believe a good theology of grace. But that's not the way we live." Yancey adds, "Jesus' wondrous message of grace gets diluted in the vessel of the church." Jesus came with a message of grace and the Kingdom of God, Paul said it is "by grace we are saved, through faith...not by works that no man should boast..." yet as Christians live and judge by by the law. Jesus said to judge by the heart, but we are programmed to look at the outside of a person. How does God view us? Is He really good and does He reallylove us, or is that just when we act in a way that is pleasing to Him? Lewis Smedes is quoted, "What I needed more than a pardon was a sense that God accepted me, affirmed me, and would never let go of me even if he was not too much impressed with what he had on his hands." In a style unique to Yancey, through stories and timeless quotes, he centers us on the grace of God and shows us how far we have strayed from the ministry and message of Christ. It may be one of the most life-changing books I have ever read!

No comments: