Wednesday, October 12, 2005

BTW - yesterday went great, a few meltdowns but nothing major, even went to the KHS vball game, both girls were angels. Don't I feel special...

I feel bad as I write this as I'm not one to take this issue lightly, but when Job wrote that he made a covenant with his eyes not to look lustfully at a woman, do you think he had any idea what the pictures of Cameron Diaz look like in Entertainment Weekly?

On another note, I'm becoming accustomed to being a family man. I always turned on that idea, preferring the "rugged individualist" and the cosmo type male. However, after just a few months of being the father of two adorable girls and a few weeks of spending time at home with them, there's really no other place I'd be. Give me a few times a week for coffee with the friends, the occasional west coast or Africa trip, and I'm perfectly content playing at home with the gals. Oh, the surpises life brings you!

I'm reading Kempis' "Imitations of Christ" and finding it amazing on one hand and boring on the other. I just can't get into this classical lit other than the occasional soundbite. Here are a few from my reading last night:

The glory of a good man is the testimony of a good conscience. Therefore, keep your conscience good and you will always enjoy happiness... I've been using this one in coaching, it's crazy to think of pressure in high school sports, especially at the girls level, but it exists, for sure in the community. Therefore this proverbs take on additional meaning for me, work hard in all you do and whatever the outcome, your conscience is clean.

A man must fight long and bravely against himself before he learns to master himself fully and to direct all his affections toward God. I'm working on this one and have a long way to go.

Why do you look for rest when you were born to work? A friend of mine was explaining to me last year how everything we do in life is meant to make our lives easier, when that may not be the Kingdom way. How true!

Always take the lowest place, and the highest will be given to you, for the highest cannot exist apart from the lowest.

To many the saying, "Deny thyself, take up they cross and follow Me" seems hard, but it will be much harder to hear that final word: "Depart from me,ye cursed, into everlasting fire." WOW! I'm convicted and speechless.

1 comment:

James said...

"Why do you look for rest when you were born to work? A friend of mine was explaining to me last year how everything we do in life is meant to make our lives easier, when that may not be the Kingdom way. How true!"

This a struggle for me. I feel like we are called to have time for rest, specifically the sabbath, but I think we often get confused and think that means we have to do a lot of church activities, minitstries, etc. on our day of rest. I'm the type of person who has to have some "down time." Do I always use it effectively, definitely not. But I think we should take time, preferrable each week, to just drop everything and relax, and just hang out with God. CCV's Encounter was a great example of this. The problem is, when you take a day, or part of a day to do nothing, you end up getting more stressed because your behind in something...ahhhh, it's a struggle. (Where does watching football fit into this discussion?)

I had a friend at Belhaven College who would not do homework, or study on Sunday, no matter what. If it meant waking up super early the next morning, or studying Saturday night that's what he'd do. I was always impressed that he was able to stick to this.

Anyway, good stuff as usual.