Sunday, October 02, 2005

WOW! What a week! Let me reflect on the past seven days:

Monday: My first day of paternity leave, began the day in Madison celebrating our anniversary, rushed home in the afternoon to attend the Powder Puff game (junior vs. senior girls in football, a Homecoming tradition) and tried to get some rest and love on my children.

Tuesday: Pretty uneventful day, had coffee in the afternoon, hung out with the kids.

Wednesday: back to school, came home after, picked up Maiya, went to Homecoming parade to collect candy in the wind and rain. Then we went over to a gathering for the church we are attending, I have never felt more out of place in my life. Did I write on this already?

Thursday: another day of school, weights with the athletes after, came home, held Kendyl while she slept, went to the volleyball game, interviewed the coaches after, then out to the bonfire to chaperone and organize. Got home, wrote the article for the game, out at around 11:30.

Friday: I'm not working Fridays until after Thanksgiving, but since I needed to be there for the pep rally I thought it wise to work the entire day. Spent most of the day organizing, pretty fun time. Came home after to prepare for the football game. I've never seen anything like this, with 4 minutes left Kimberly had the ball on the 40, running out the clock. They called a pass play on 3rd and long and the QB got hit, fumbled, and it was returned for a TD. The score went from 17-7 to 17-14. They went three and out, muffed the snap, and Fondy recovered on the 1. Two plays and they were down 21-17. They couldn't get past the 50 and rather than 5-1 and a guaranteed playoff spot, they are now 4-2 with two tough games left. Came home to hang with the family and pack for the weekend.

Saturday: Woke at 4 to get to the airport to catch my flight to SoCal. Great flight, I like Delta, I hadn't flown them in a long time. Got in at around 10:30, was heading to hang at the beach until my meeting in the afteroon, when I got a call that I should head right to Riverside to hang with my friends until the meeting. We had lunch (I ate way too much and got really groggy) before driving to the Tumaini dinner. Helped set up, had a wonderful evening, got back at 10pm, I don't think I've ever gotten to sleep so fast in my life.

Sunday: Woke this morning at 7:30, went to breakfast, all day Tumaini board meeting, then drove to Pasadena to check out Fuller (Dr. Mutunga is a graduate) and then to Mosaic for church. Pretty cool, I was really excited when I got in to see the people and the anticipation of worshipping God, but that soon waned when I heard McManus speak. I thought it was going to be good as we read the beginning of Phil 2 but then didn't talk about that passage again. He went on about ambition, the spirit of the message was good, he was funny, but his exegesis was terrible and I hate that! He was referring to examples in the Bible of people with ambition and listed Joseph (OT), Daniel, and Moses. He said Joseph was a slave but rose to be second in command in the Egyptian empire because of his ambition. Same with Daniel, a slave but rose to be second to Nebuchadnezzar because of his ambition. Finally, Moses was raised in a foster home but was third in the Egyptian kingdom because of his ambition. I don't know what Bible this guy is reading, but I don't see this as a result of their ambition. For goodness sake, Moses did everything he could not to lead the people, but by the power of God took Israel out of Egypt. These men may have been ambitious, but they relied on the power of God to do what they did, nothing else.

And now I sit at a Starbucks on Wilshire Avenue waiting for my flight and totally wiped out. I leave at 11:59 and hope I sleep the entire time!

2 comments:

edluv said...

i was down in la for a class last summer. we visited a ton o' churches including two services from mosaic. one was their sunday evening @ the mayan in downtown la and the other was a morning @ the pasadena campus. i enjoyed the services, and thought that mcmanus made good connections.

but, i agree, i wasn't deeply impressed with his use of the text in his sermon. it seemed like he could always go a little deeper. then again, i'm a seminary student, have worked as an associate pastor, and so i'm not exactly the target audience. but i really respect what they're doing. they are leaving the fingerprint of god on that city, on the greater los angeles area. of course, with every church, with every movement, there are problems. try not to judge their whole deal by his sermon. their sunday experience is only one bit of what they're doing.

JPN said...

I agree and when the service began I was like WOW! These people were excited to worship and love God and each other. I still liked the spirit of the message, I just hate sloppy exegesis and taking Scripture out of context to use it for what we want to say. The liberals hate the conservatives for that, now I see more and more liberals doing it. In any case, we in the church cannot get caught up in that, rather we must, as Paul told Timothy, those who correctly handle the word of truth.