Saturday, October 29, 2005

I'll admit I was wrong about the oil prices, I never thought they would get this low again. But it seems this is about the furthest we will go. An OPEC rep today said that prices had leveled to a rate acceptable to consumers and producers. I read through the lines to say that this means the drop is over, get ready to pay this rate for fuel, give or take a dime or so. I guess I can live with it, but I sure miss the rate of just under $2 from last year.

Back to the BCS, another thought. Even a playoff system would not be perfect, as no matter how many teams you take, there will still be some who are arguing they should be in. If you take four, the fifth will be mad, if you take eight, number nine will complain, and so on. My number is eight, cut out some of the patsies, reduce the conference schedule by a game, every team plays 11 games, keep the bowl system, but the top eight teams enter a playoff. My reason is that it gives teams one slip, maybe two in some circumstances. I don't buy the argument that ESPN keeps giving me that the entire season is a playoff, lose and you are disqualified. My problem with that is a situation such as Georgia's today, they played without their QB and one of the best if not simply most valuable players in the country, and narrowly lost to a very good FL team. This should not disqualify them, but it will. The same with Miami, they lost an ugly game early to FSU, now they are out, even if they beat VT next week. Give every team one slip up, we'll know the top eight at the end of the year, and let them play it out. No classes would need to be missed as they could play the week after Christmas, the week of the New Year, and then a final playoff the first weekend of NFL playoffs, maybe that Friday night or something. Couldn't this be worked out? Imagine the ratings and payout for this, and the two teams remaining still play only 14 games. Most teams now play 13 anyway, what is one more game?

1 comment:

James said...

Bro, I couldn't agree with you more. This whole argument about keeping the bowls is a bunch of crap to me. It isn't the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl or whatever anymore, it's the Who'sgoingtopaythemost.com Bowl. I get so tired of all the advertisements and hearing about the "Nokia" Sugar Bowl. Think about March Madness and multiply it by 100, it would be silly.