Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I hate the White Sox, but my hats off to Chicago for what is an inevitable World Series crown. I do happen to be an Ozzie Guillen fan and El Duque is simply amazing. Good work guys!

I'm taking the under on their number of wins next year, I'll say they'd be lucky to play .500 ball.

The schedule disparity in the NFL is simply absurd. Take a look at the following comparison:

Eagles - Record: 4-2
Opp. Record: 19-20 (record not that astounding, but take a look at the opponent, Atl,
SF, Oak, KC, Dallas, and SD, adn all teams gunning for them as
defending NFC champs along with TO saga - SF hurt them,
Oakland is an underrated 2-4, no gimme at all)
Chargers - Record:3-4
Opp. Record: 26-18 (only Oakland with a losing record, see above)

On the other hand:

Colts - Record: 7-0
Opp. Record: 14-30 (only J-ville has winning record)
Bengals - Record: 5-2
Opp. Record: 17-25 (only played Pitt with a winning record and lost)

The numbers don't lie, and yes, I am rooting for the evil Patriots next week Monday!

2 comments:

James said...

Nice breakdown!! I'm sensing you don't like the Colts. I agree, I don't understand how there schedule could be so easy when they've had good teams the last couple of years. Of course, at least they aren't in the NFC north, what a joke. I guarantee that USC or Texas could contend in that division. It will be interesting to see if the Patriots still own them.

Back to college, how crazy is the BCS?? Mike & Mike in the morning have been discussing the following scenario, USC wins out, but due to the lack of quality opponents, aka the PAC-10, they get jumped by another undefeated team. This would mean that a team that hasn't lost in 3 years would not play in the championship game (assuming Texas also wins out). This would make me extremely happy, so much that I would be willing to have Auburn lose to UGA if it meant they would be the team to jump USC. If it came down to Auburn losing to Alabama, that I wouldn't go for. This won't happen, but if it did, you could bet your house that something would change in the BCS format. Do I think there is a bias towards some schools (see Notre Dame, Texas, USC, FSU, Miami), yes. Is there some bitterness left over from last year, YES! Anwyay, as M & M pointed out, if we could pretend that there was no system in place and someone proposed the current system, it would be laughed out of the building.

JPN said...

You're right, I hate the Colts, although I like Dungy and Harrison. Speaking of Dungy, it reminds me of how we like to throw the "genius" term around for NFL coaches too much. Dungy was a defensive genius with the Bucs, but for the past few years couldn't field a defense to save his ass. Same with Billick when he was with the Vikes, great offense, now they may be one of the most inept offenses around. Holmgren suffers the same fate in my mind, easy to be an offensive genius with Favre as your QB.

On the BCS, what a joke! The only year it has worked in my mind has been 2002 when OSU beat Miami. I discount other years when there was less controversy as the top two teams would have met in a bowl anyway (i.e. 1999 when FSU beat VT). It was a total joke in 2000 (Ok over FSU), 2001 (Miami over Nebraska), 2003 (LSU, SC, and Ok battling for the top spot, both SC and LSU with one loss at the end) and of course the debacle last year. I can't say I have the best answer, but there has to be something better than this! And money can't be the excuse, do you know how much money could have been make last year if SC would have played Utah and Auburn vs. Ok with the winner playing the next week. It would rival Championship Monday or even the Super Bowl, and the kids aren't even in class! Stuff like this makes me lost even more confidence in the NCAA.